Wednesday 22 June 2016

President Buhari Appoints Ibrahim Kpotum as Acting Inspector General of Police


President Muhammadu Buhari has appointed Ibrahim Kpotum Idris as the acting Inspector General of Police (IG).

His appointment is subject to confirmation by the Police Council.

He replaces Mr. Solomon Arase who retired yesterday.

Arase accompanied the new IG to the president’s office when the appointment was made.

Prior to his appointment, Idris was the Assistant Inspector General of Police (AIG) in charge of Operations.

While presenting the new IG to journalists, Arase said: “I want to formally introduce my successor, AIG Idris Kpotum. He is going to serve in an acting capacity until the police council confirms him.

“I want to seize this opportunity to thank Nigerians for the cooperation given me while I served as Inspector General of Police. By extension, I want to also appeal to you to give the same support that you gave to me to my successor.

“He is a younger man so I am sure he will be abreast with contemporary policing issues.”

In his remarks, the new IG said that under his watch the police would be governed by internationally recognised core values.

He said: “Honestly, by collective leadership, the Nigerian police is going to be governed by internationally recognised core values of policing everywhere in the world, that is, the issue of integrity and accountability, issue of respect for diversity, issue of compassion, issues of ensuring that our streets, our neighbourhoods, our communities remain safe.

“We are going to do everything possible to ensure that we provide the best service to this country.”



No comments: