Thursday 16 June 2016

Most Houses in Nigeria are Boring, The walls have no story to tell...that I have come to Solve - The Lady Painter


The advent of small businesses in Nigeria cannot be overemphasized as they have contributed immensely to local economies by bringing growth and innovation to the community in which the business is established. Small businesses also help stimulate economic growth by providing employment opportunities to people who may not be employable by larger corporations. 

Small businesses tend to attract talent who invent new products or implement new solutions for existing ideas. In this interview with Small business owners doing things that you can't imagine to make a living, Akonuche presents Uju Udoka The Lady Painter who sees painting as a good business and a huge source of income, According to Uju, " I have come to make your walls tell stories".

Enjoy excerpts of the interview after the cut...  


1.    Please tell us about your self; background, education and work experience ?

My name is Udoka Uju, I am ‘The Lady Painter’
I am a graduate of University of Port Harcourt, I studied Economics. Presently I work at one of the leading banks in Nigeria, my previous work place was at a Real Estate firm in Lagos. I am a certified interior designer at Space Calibre Institute.

2.    Why are you in business?

I am in business because of my desire to be self-employed. I am tired of living the 9 to 5 life and would rather put in all my energy into my own business. I also want to be an employer of labour.

3.    Can you provide us with a description of your business?

Hmmmm…I am a painter, I am called ‘The Lady Pianter’. I think I am the first female creative wall designer in Nigeria. I paint the interior and exterior of residential/commercial buildings.

4.    Being a painter is not a usual lady's thing, how did you get the background and skills necessary to run this type of business?

Since I have known me, I have never been known to be artistic. I can’t even draw a circle lol. But I am very good with lines and I have an eye for detail. I had the desire to be an interior designer while I was at my first job and so I enrolled for interior design classes somewhere in Lagos. I had the painting book that bought while I was attending the school and I used to just open it and look at the pictures. And I watched a lot of foreign movies (e.g Telemundo lol) and I just compare the homes I see there with what we have here in Nigeria. And I realised that most of houses I see here are boring. The walls have no story to tell, no statement to make, just all bland walls or even when they have a design, the colours are just not rightly used. And I also realised that generally people think having a beautiful wall in their home is luxury. So that is a problem that I have come to solve. I have never been to a painting school before, I see design and I just know how to replicate it on a wall.

The Lady painter at  work

5.    How do you market your business and how are people aware of your business?

For my marketing, for now I am using the social media (Facebook, Instagram and twitter). I also send broadcast messages to my contacts using whatsapp and BBM. I also have branded overalls and tshirts that I wear also.
 
6.    How many painting jobs have you done so far and how were you able to finance it ?

I have done a little over 10 jobs since I started in October 2015 and this because I have been combining my fulltime job with the painting job, so I only have the weekends to paint.

7.     Where do you see your business in the next year? In the next five years? The next ten years?

In the next five years…hmmm, I see ‘The Lady Painter’ being a household name, having just female painters transforming homes and office spaces with paint. I plan to grow the business to employ women who would love to be professionals in painting.

8.     Do you have employees? How many?
Currently I have 2 employees that work with me, and I have 15 others that are based on contract.

9.     Lastly, How can a customer  reach you ?

Phone number: 08063275102
Email: theladypainterng@gmail.com
Twitter: @LadyPainterNG
Instagram: theladypainterng



No comments: